Date:
Wed, 30 Aug 2000 21:35:55 +1000
From: "Demetri Kolokotronis" <[log in to unmask]>
To: <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Tuesday, August 29, 2000 12:19 PM
Subject: Re: [PCBUILD] all in one mobos

> The computer I am using to send this message has a motherboard with
> on-board video and sound. Either or both can be disabled in Bios, if
> someone would want to install circuit boards for either or both
> functions. Are these disable options in Bios uncommon in contemporary
> motherboards?
>
> If an all in one mobo does not have these disable options, can the
> on-board circuits be disabled by not installing the drivers?
>
> While the original poster referred to "all in one mobos", I have seen
> many boards where one or more functions were on-board, but others were
> not. For example, a motherboard with on-board sound, but not on-board
> video.

Not all all-in-one board allows you to disable the intergrated video, you
can for sure to disable the onboard audio, modem and network (but those mobo
usually don't have enough PCI slots to let you place your own card,
sometimes if you disable the onboard audio, the onboard modem wouldn't work
either, disable onboard video is not unusual (but not usual either) feature.
You cannot disable the onboard video by any meaning if there is no such
jumper or BIOS option.
"Not install driver" or "plug in another video card"? -I can tell that you
are not the first to think about it, and sure, not the last one, and I have
not seen any successful case (I also tried myself, the only result I got was
NO BOOT or really bad crash) to disable such "impossible to disable
feature".

Most new mobo today come with onboard AC97 audio controller and/or
modem/network riser, they are not really audio/modem/network, but that
dosen't refer those board to all-in-one solution.

Jun Qian

                  Visit our website regularly for FAQs,
                  http://nospin.com - http://nospin.org