From:
Max Timchenko <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 29 Jul 1999 00:29:16 +0200
Hello Keith,

  As I remember, ES1688 is a SB-PRO clone and as such won't play 16-bit
sound unless the driver converts... Could be that "native" sounds are
8bit, and "non-native" are 16bit? Also check for freq. and stereo
differences. My friend used ES1688 on IRQ7 because he has no printer,
so he doesn't need a LPT port :) ,no problems like you describe,
however.

  Not much of a solution, but the friend had so many problems with
ES1688 that he trashed it and bought a SBLive-Value, and is happy ever
since.

  How do you divide WIndows' sounds to "native" and "non-native"?

+=-.
| Max Timchenko [MaxVT]
| [log in to unmask], [log in to unmask]
| (ICQ) 238-6792
|
| Freelance website and graphics designer
| Max Webdesign at http://maxwd.hypermart.net
+=-.

KM> Just a question about some inconsistencies I'm finding in a customer's
KM> computer.  The pc is a generic no name clone with WIN98 upgrade installed.
KM> The symptoms are exhibited thusly:

KM>         1.      "Native" wav files such as "tada", "chimes", "ding" plays
KM>                 at a normal volume.
KM>         2.      "Non-native" wav files such as "The Windows Sound" or
KM>                 "The Welcome" play at a significantly reduced volume.  So
KM>                 quiet in fact, that about the only way to hear it is to
KM>                 place the speaker in your ear.  No sound settings have
KM>                 been adjusted while playing the two different types of
KM>                 files.

KM> The sound card is an ESS-1688 and interestingly will only use IRQ 7.
KM> Uninstalling and reinstalling the driver made no difference.  I ended up
KM> moving LPT1 to IRQ 5, I/0 278 in the bios.  As a note, midi files seem to
KM> have no problems being played.

                  Visit our website regularly for FAQs,
                  http://nospin.com - http://nospin.org