From:
Kyle Elmblade <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 17 Oct 1999 20:40:02 GMT
Michael,

A couple of questions.  First, is this a serial or PS/2 mouse?  Second, is
just the mouse freezing, or the entire system?  If it's the entire system
and you are having to do a cold-boot, that could be a different issue than
just the mouse.

If it is the system itself that is freezing, I would bet that it is a heat
problem (I'm not laying odds, this is just conjecture at this point).  I had
a problem with a 233MMX system that was similar in nature to what you
described, and it had to do with the bus speed I was running my processor
at.  It was too high, essentially overclocking the chip, and the chip was
getting too hot and eventually locking up on me.  Like you, it could be five
minutes, an hour, or a day.  But it would eventually happen.  Keep in mind,
this was a Cyrix chip, so it had a predisposition towards overheating
already.  But, dropping the bus speed down a notch fixed the whole thing,
and the system still runs like a champ today.

If just the mouse is freezing and your are still able to issue keyboard
commands, I would begin to look at the mouse controller as a possibility.
If you have changed mice, we can pretty much rule out the possibility of it
being the mouse hardware.  On the controller side of things, this could be
either in the driver or the controller itself.  Did new drivers get
installed with the new mouse?  Either by you or by Windows autmatically
detecting a different mouse and loading different drivers?  If not, then I
would try removing the mouse (all instances if there is more than one) out
of your system settings.  Do this in safe mode and then reboot the computer
and see how long it works after the mouse is redetected and drivers
reloaded.

The other option is that it is the hardware.  If this is a PS/2 mouse with
an onboard controller, try using a serial mouse.  If it is a serial mouse
already, the only thing I can think of is to get an add-on card for your
system to install a PS/2 mouse and try that.  This would tell you your comm
port is bad.  Alternatively, there could be an IRQ conflict on your comm
port, and simply changing to a different IRQ in the CMOS might fix it.

Hope this helps.  Good luck.

Kyle