From:
Dean Kukral <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 2 Apr 2004 07:09:19 -0600
I strongly suspect that in the program code there is a check that is made,
called an ASSERT statement, before proceeding with the following execution.
If the ASSERT check fails, i.e. is not true, then the program goes into the
error handling routine which produces the message that you have displayed.

Your ASSERT failed on line 266 of the code for msprintf.c, which looks like
something to do with printing.  My guess is that there is not enough memory
to complete the task about to be done.

First, when you boot, go into the BIOS and disable the fast boot.  This will
allow the BIOS to check the memory to see if it is ok.   I would also
disconnect the printer on the unlikely chance that the msprintf.c routine
would not be loaded.  If the BIOS shows bad memory, replace it.  If the
machine boots without the printer and not with it, then a reload of Windows
on top of the old one might fix the problem.

Since "nothing changed" in your computer, it is possible that somehow a bit
of the o.s. code got corrupted.  If it is not a problem, I would reformat
and reinstall Windows.  If that is a problem, I would buy a new hard drive
and make it primary, with your old hard drive secondary, and install Windows
on the new hard drive.  Then, IF this now works, you can copy stuff from the
old drive to the new one.

Of course, you could also call Microsoft Product Support.

Maybe someone else can help better, but this may get you started.

Dean Kukral