From:
Kay McCoy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 14 Jul 2000 13:27:45 -0400
Dear PCBuilders,
    After reformatting my C drive and re-installing Windows NT 4.0, I have
not been able to get my sound card working properly again.    It worked fine
before the reformat.

    It is a Sound Blaster 16 card.    If I:
1) add a device from the multimedia dialog box, and use the Windows NT
default sb16 drivers, it acts like it installs, but only the .wav and .mid
files will make sound.    Specifically, my .mp3 files will not play.

2) use the CD that came with the card and try to run setup from the CD, it
tells me the NT audio drivers are not installed and that must be done first;
makes reference to the PNPISA.SYS file.  That file seems to be where it is
supposed to be on my c drive.  I have removed all devices, taken out the
card, uninstalled all the software, put the card back in a different slot
and started over.  Doesn't change a thing.

3) add a device from the multimedia dialog box, and use the drivers from the
Sound Blaster CD, it tries to install them, but gives me a message that the
DMA channel is in use by another part of the system.

4) add a device from the multimedia dialog box, and use drivers I downloaded
today from the Sound Blaster web site, it tries to install them, but gives
me a message that the DMA channel is in use by another part of the system.
It only gives 3 choices - 0, 1, and 3; each channel gives the same message.

I don't know what else to try!   Thanks for any help.

Kay McCoy                                   Phone/fax: 304-465-5664
Automation Manager                    [log in to unmask]
Fayette County Public Libraries
Oak Hill, WV  25901

                   messages? Visit our staff web site:
                     http://nospin.com/pc/staff.html