From:
Julius Militante <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 20 Oct 2000 08:32:39 -0500
Hello to everyone.  I chose to follow this line because my question deals
with a P5A board I have.  It has been working with a 350 MHz K6-2 forever.
K6-3+ chips (0.18 um process, 256 on-die cache, 2.0 v, Poweron technology)
are now available on Pricewatch.  One site describes the chips as
originally made for notebooks but would work perfectly well with Socket 7
boards which allow for 2.0 v for the CPU.  The P5A and the FIC VA-503+
allow for that voltage setting.  Tomshardware described the K6-2+ as a good
upgrade for people like myself who want to just want to upgrade the CPU and
not the board.

Any thoughts before I plunk down $70 on a 450 MHz K6-3+ chip?  Thanks.

>If I had chosen the P5A board I would have had to buy a new ATX case and
>CPU. It has the same features as the A-B but a different form factor for
>the CPU. Unless I read the specifications wrong, neither board can be
>upgraded very much. Go to www.ASUS.com  and have a look.

                   messages? Visit our staff web site:
                     http://nospin.com/pc/staff.html