From:
Dean Kukral <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 12 Jul 2008 16:46:13 -0500
I would guess that if you can get to where you are, then it is not your video card.  Do you get any keyboard response at all?  If
you don't, then it is probably the keyboard.  You should consider replacing the motherboard battery, too, while you are at it.
Fortunately, spare keyboards are fairly inexpensive.  But try removing and reinserting the keyboard plug before doing anything else.

If the cmos battery has gone bad, then you lose your cmos settings.  The computer knows something is wrong, and it asks you to enter
cmos setup but you can't because the keyboard is not working.  Just an educated guess, of course.

Good luck, Don!

Dean Kukral

PS: the most power is used when starting up (and the hard drive starts spinning from scratch), so if you got that far, then my guess
would be it is not the power supply, but the scenario described above.  A failed cpu or motherboard would not likely let you get as
far as you have.  A failed hard drive would result in a message that it can't find the operating system.  Failed memory should
result in a several beep message.  (Of course, a failed motherboard could possibly result in this kind of error, but I doubt it.)