From:
Doug Simmons <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 Oct 1999 09:41:25 -0400
I have been refilling HP 520 and 1600 for home use for over 3 years.  The
HP is great in that if the jet nozzles do clog, you just buy another
cartridge and you are none the worse for it. I've never had dripping ink
inside the printer if I let the excess drip off after refilling per
instructions.  You must use the ink designed for the cartridge, obtainable
at many web sites (I use MIS Supply, http://www.missupply.com .  They have
detailed instructions and some good tips as well as all supplies.)  The
reason we don't do it at work is the labor costs for our engineers to do it
makes it inefficient.  We just send the empties to a recycle company.

A couple of tips:  I have been able to refill a cartridge many times, *IF*
I keep topping off the ink instead of letting the cartridge go completely
dry.  When a cartridge does run completely dry, take it out immediately and
put it in an air tight plastic bag (Ziplok) if you aren't going to refill
it then.  Evaporation of ink in the nozzles is the doom of inkjet
cartridges and the bag minimizes drying.  I first bought a refill kit and
then just bought bulk ink by the pint.  So far in three years I have only
purchased 3 cartridges and have gone through almost a pint of black ink, a
lot of printing. Pint is good for over 100 refills with my black cartridges.

HTH

Doug Simmons

At 10/9/99 02:12 AM , John G. Cakars wrote:
>HP 820cse printer
>
>Did this list come to any kind of consensus if it was safe to
>refill your own inkjet printer cartridges or to send them off
>for refilling? Are remanufactured printer cartridges safe?

                  Visit our website regularly for FAQs,
                  http://nospin.com - http://nospin.org