From:
Robert Stockton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 8 Aug 2003 09:51:01 -0500
I recently received a Maxtor 5000xt 250 gig Hard Drive from a friend.

Due to not reading all the instructions before plugging it in... I lost my
date due to some sort of 137 gig limitation.

So I fired up R-Studio NTFS and scanned the disk. I was amazed at the data
that was available to me. Not only were my partitions shown, but my friends
old data he though he had safely erased by doing removing the partitions.

Here is my situation. I cannot seem to find any software that will securly
erase this USB hard drive. Even Maxtor admits they have no utility for even
doing a low level format on this drive.

Does anyone know of a software package that will work with a USB hard drive.
Not in windows mind you. Must be able to reboot to some sort of DOS as it
seems this is how most of the secure erase utilities I have found work.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Rob Stockton
LAN-Fraggers.com

                     support at our newest website: