From:
Loy Pressley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 20 May 2005 07:01:03 -0500
My ISP has compatible modems on all his connections.  I suspect the
problem is the telephone lines and there isn't much I can do about
that.  I'm a rural customer and the phone company (Verizon) isn't much
interested in providing anything by the bare minimum level of service,
so I guess I'm stuck with a low speed dialup connection.

Thank you all for your replies.

Loy

Bill Cohane wrote:

> Loy Pressley wrote:
> > I have a Conexant HCF V90 56K RTAD Speakerphone PCI Modem in my
> > computer, a Dell Dimension L800r with 512 megs of ram, running at 800
> > MHz.  My operating system is WinME.  I have never been able to connect
> > to my ISP at any speed greater than 28.8.
>
> Hi Loy
>
> Where I live, in a city, the phone company frequently divides one
> phone line (from the pole) into two lines (either to create a line
> for each of two houses or to get two separate lines for one house).
> From what I've heard, the phone company has the right to do this...
> even if a customer asks them not to.
>
> If you have this situation, you'll never get over a 28.8 connection,
> even if both you and your ISP have 56K capable modems. I don't know
> the technical details of this "multiplexing", but neither line is
> capable of working past 28.8.
>
> Just another possibility to consider to explain your problem.
>
> I'd have figured that if both you and your ISP have 56K capable
> equipment, at some time or other (unless you have a configuration
> problem) you'd get a connection higher than 28.8, if just for a few
> moments.
>
> Regards,
> Bill
>
>            Do you want to signoff PCBUILD or just change to
>                    Digest mode - visit our web site:
>                   http://freepctech.com/pcbuild.shtml

                     support at our newest website:
                          http://freepctech.com