From:
David Gillett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 Apr 1999 13:12:26 -0800
On 11 Apr 99, at 21:24, Joan Rapier wrote:

> Question -1:
> If I set up a proxy server, do I have to use a dedicated box or can one
> of the client machines be the proxy server, too?

  For this scenario, you should be able to use the proxy machine as a
client as well.  If you were using it as gateway for a large LAN, or as
an exposed copy of a protected web/etc. server, then it would be simpler
to dedicate a machine to the job.

> Question-2:
> How would the scenario differ if I used BackOffice (which includes NT4)?

  MS Proxy Server (included in that package, I think) is way overkill for
what you need.  It plays well into the dedicated-server scenarios I allude
to above, but that's not your situation.

> Both machines are running Windows 95 and one will (soon, I hope when I
> can find time) have at least one other OS on it - NT Workstation or
> Windows 98.

  [MS Proxy Server needs NT Server, IE4 and IIS4, so even though it's
fairly slim itself, it has fairly hefty requirements.]

  [MS Proxy Server 2.0 was one of the MCSE exams I chose to write; we've
decided not to use it after all.]

> Question-3:
> If I do need to use a dedicated machine for the proxy server - what kind
> of horse power does it need to have?  This is not a busy network.  Just
> two machines peer-to-peer running basic business and home office apps.
> Most work is stand alone.  Some file and resource (printer) sharing on
> the network but that's it.  Can I get away w/ a 486 box?

  If you decide to dedicate a box to this job, a 486 should do it; if
you want to use it as a client, obviously it should be at least
powerful enough for that, with a bit left over for proxying.

David G

                     http://nospin.com/pc/files.html