From:
Bob LaSalle <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 16 May 1999 10:14:53 -0400
Max Timchenko wrote:

  Recently overclocked my new Celeron 400 to 450 [66->75 MHz], works
fine; didn't tried faster yet. But I would like to constantly monitor
the CPU temperature to avoid any possible damages. My board
[ABIT BX6 2.0] has an ambient temp. meter and it's standing at
40-42 C while working, but the CPU meter is absent.
  (Also 2 fans - in power supply and at front, but the board shows
only one, and CPU fan stats aren't displayed in WinBond, but are
displayed in BIOS - why?)

  2 questions:

  a. How do I install / where do I buy / what could I use to meter
the CPU temp? [I have a PPGA Celeron chip on PPGA->Slot1 adapter]

  b. Is 40-42 C normal? Would running w/o case help much? I don't
like the idea because my area is really dusty, and seldom I drop
some objects over the case -- without cover they'd just go inside...

Max,

Relative to your question about monitoring the temperature of a CPU, I have
the following comments:

a. Do Not operate your computer with the cover removed. The cover is  a
crucial part of the cooling system and allows air from the fan to flow over
the boards and components that require cooling. Without the cover, the
function of the cabinet fan is lost. This would be something like running a
automobile without a fan belt. No fan, no water pump...... No Cooling!

b. I haven't looked into what thermometers are available, but I would say
you should be able to find some that use a small probe tip and have
sufficient range to read the CPU temperature. Any thermometer you choose
should have an upper temperature capability of at least 212 degrees
Fahrenheit, preferably 300 or 400 degrees F. You should try to find out the
maximum CPU surface temperature rating for the Celeron and not exceed it.

c. Finally, a more effective CPU cooling fan could be used directly on the
CPU. If the Celeron has no CPU fan, I would definitely add one. If it has
one, try to find a fan of higher capacity, if its operating temperature is
too high.

The cost of fans and thermometers should be relatively low. Fans cost
anywhere from $5 to $20, and you should not pay more than about $25 for a
thermometer.

Good luck,

Bob LaSalle

                            The NOSPIN Group