From:
Bob Wright <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 Oct 1999 13:38:59 -0600
At 11:23 PM 10/05/1999 , you wrote:
>I've tried to install a 18x CDROM in a PS/1 which I had problem with the
>CDROM. Now I'm trying to install a new 24x CDROM IDE/ATAPI interface into
>the same computer. The drive light just stays on and I get a Ps/1 CDROM
>error. The sound card I'm connecting it to is a Sound Blaster 16 CT1740 I
>think its 1992. Could this be the problem? If this won't work is it
>possible to connect the CDROM as a slave with the hard drive? I've tried
>this also but couldn't get it working or is it just my connections or am I
>just facing the fact that newer equipment won't work with old?
>Can anyone help me?  The old drive is an IBM model CR-563BBZ 2x. I lost the
>drivers for it when installing the 18x CDROM. Does anyone know where I
>could get these drivers. Customer is wanting computer.
>
>Harvey Rose

The sound blaster card you have, the CT1740 is equipped with a
Panasonic/MKE CD-ROM interface.  This is an old proprietary
interface for 1x and 2x early CD rom drives and will not work
the drive you have...  (see this URL) it is not IDE/ATAPI:
    http://support.soundblaster.com/specs/audio/sb16/ct1740.html

It should work on the IDE data ribbon cable, be sure you have
it configured as a slave and the hard drive configured as a Master.
Some older hard drives configure differently from single drive to
Master drive, so check the settings on the drive or consult the
hard drive manufacturer's web site for specifications.

If you intend to put the old 2x Panasonic drive back into the box,
the drivers can be downloaded from this web site:
http://www.Panasonic.COM/host/support/software-drivers-oem-cd-r.html

I found this site by consulting The NOSPIN Group links page at:
http://nospin.com/pc/links.html   and clicking on the CD Rom drivers
page.  That page lists almost every CD Rom manufacture with URLs
for support and drivers on each one.  There are lots of valuable links
on this page, we have been compiling it for a long time.

I hope this helps...

                 Bob Wright
        The NOSPIN Group, Inc
http://nospin.com - http://nospin.org