Date:
Thu, 20 Dec 2001 11:52:11 -0800
On 18 Dec 2001, at 9:03, Steve Imler wrote:

> You need to enable com 3 in the bios...if it doesn't show up there...you
> need to enable it on your motherboard....depending on how old this
> computer is it should already be enabled on your motherboard...just
> check the bios to make sure that com 3 is enabled...then it should
> work...
>
> Steve

  This is WRONG, on two counts.

1.  Most motherboards these days come with TWO serial ports.  You can
configure either of them to the address and IRQ normally reserved for
COM3, but unless you really understand what you're doing, this will
just complicate the issue.  The OS will assign COM port numbers by
its own rules, not by these settings.

2.  An internal modem includes circuitry that looks, to an OS, like a
serial port.  In order to work properly, this port must be configured
for a different address than any other serial port.  Trying to enable
one of the motherboard serial ports and force it to the address the
modem is using will be detected as a conflict, and will prevent
either from working.

David Gillett

                    Digest mode - visit our web site:
                   http://freepctech.com/pcbuild.shtml