From:
Rick Glazier <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 25 Feb 2001 10:00:27 -0500
You did not mention if the CDs are factory, or burned.
I have seen poorly burned (or poorly recognized) CDs
identified wrong, (usually as Audio).
It is even worse if they are erasable and were not quite
"erased enough" by a marginal burner.
CDs use a completely different file system (several as a
matter of fact).   I just read that the original file system
was for Audio only, and was adapted (or "extended")
to include "data"...  Try not to think of a CD as being too
much like a hard drive, even if the CD is using packet writing.
They are a world apart from hard drives...

If there is any question about a CD drive, I always move it to
a different system and see what happens there...
Just moving it and bringing it back will "check" things like loose
or dirty connections...  It might even "fix" it...
                 Rick Glazier