From:
Kathy Gorman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 20 May 1999 17:09:44 -0400
Just yesterday I dealt with the same problem!

I just built a new computer with a 503+ and put in a six-month old Maxtor
5.7. I first fdisked and formatted the drive. While the BIOS (I used IDE HDD
Auto Detection) seemed to recognize the drive, on the boot screen it
reported it as 528. I thought this was odd, but Windows98 seemed to also see
it correctly. Not until I installed Norton Utilities did I realize that
there was a BIG problem.

I ended up calling Maxtor and talked with a helpful tech you told me that
the BIOS was not recognizing LBA (even though it said it did). By going to
the BIOS  Standard CMOS Setup screen, and changing the drive to "auto" in
the "type" and "mode" columns, it was correctly recognized at bootup (it
does a drive recognizing bit) and all the problems are solved.

The only downside is I had to again fdisk, format and reinstall Windows to
accommodate the drive's now correctly set parameters.

He told me that it is always better to use the "auto" settings (as opposed
to Auto Detection) to insure the drive's proper identification and then it
can be moved from computer to computer in the future without this problem.

I hope this helps you - it was a real eye-opener for me since I have been
using the Auto Detection method for years.

Kathy

             to be posted to: [log in to unmask]