From:
John Chin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 19 Mar 1998 22:04:25 -0500
At 03:44 PM 3/19/1998Holli Van Nest wrote:

>I have a Quantum Pro Drive LPS 400 mg hard drive that I'd like to add
>as a secondary hard drive in a system with an IBM hard drive, 540 mg.
>The model # on the drive is DALA-3540.  I know I need to install
>both, configure jumpers and the BIOS.  Is there more?
>
>Also, I have no manuals for either drive.  I've looked around on
>Quantum's web site to see if I can find the jumper settings for a
>master drive, but I couldn't find it.  And, truth be told, I really
>have very little idea what's involved in setting the jumpers.

Holli:

Quantum LPS HDDs have a DS drive select jumper on the
bottom of the drive, which is set:

        On for master or solo
        Off for slave

There is also an SP jumper for special applications. Standard
IDE drives should work with the DS selection. I'd set the
Quantum as a slave (no jumper on the DS block).

There are many IBM models which vary in drive selection.
Probably, the SOLO drive setting on the IBM is the same
as a MASTER drive setting.  However, you're best advised
to go to the IBM website and consult the on-line materials.

Regards,

John Chin