From:
Mark Rode <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 28 Jul 1999 11:58:37 -0700
You should be able to run any socket seven chip / board....including super
seven. I am currently running a Tomcat III with a Intel 233 MMX in a old
IBM 286 Case. The Tomcat has 4 PCI and 5 ISA with one shared slot. there is
a place in the case for everything. This was my old 286. Getting to the
second bank of Simms is kind of tough but other then that ...no problems.
One advantage to these old cases is that they were quality built in as much
as no one expected them to become obsolescent in such a short time. Mine a
has it's original high quality175 watt Kingstone P/S that works fine.

The case switch would be required for slot 1 or socket 370...=..Pentium
II....III... Xenon or Celeron.

These old IBM desktop 286 cases are great for a simple setup.....mine is a
bench box and I don't put the cover on......but keep in mind that a
inexpensive and functional mid tower case with P/S can be had for 20
dollars.  A good name brand case like Enlight or InWin are in the 50+
dollar range and a real high end ...expensive......full tower case for a
server or super workstation can get up to 200- 300 and even above.

For the normal user the 20 dollar one would work fine but the 50 dollar one
is worth getting.

>The motherboard might fit, but the auxiliary cards (video, sound, etc) will
>not.
>The PCI slots will not line up with the holes in the case.
>The card's metal mounting bracket will not fit the case.
>
> > Hi there list,
> >
> > Name is Scott and furst time I have written on this list.  I have a
> > question for you.  Can you put the older Pentium boards in a 286 case I am
> > talking about the mother boards if so how high can I go before they change
> > to the different case and how much would the cases run?

                  Visit our website regularly for FAQs,
                  http://nospin.com - http://nospin.org