From:
Bob Wright <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 9 Oct 1998 13:00:51 -0600
At 06:36 AM 10/8/98 , you wrote:
>Hello,
>   I have a compaq computer that has devloped a strange symptom.  When I try
>to boot up the computer it gets about to the point where it shows a screen
>that says windows and internet exploer and then it shuts down and re-boots.
>THis is a continuous cycle so I can't get into windows.  Any suggestions??
>
>Isaac Martinez

I recently had a Compaq P-200 system brought to me with this same symptom(s).

I used the 'F8' key during bootup and choose 'Command Prompt Only.'   Then I
checked the root directory for files that had recently been created.  Sure enough,
he had improperly shut the system down and when it restarted, (the system is
using OSR2 = Win95B), scandisk had run and found numerous crosslinked files,
all in the WIndows directory.   It effectively had removed most of the Windows
files into one large file, (the file name was File0001.chk and was 97mgs).   If you
see any files ending with CHK in your root directory and they are more than
a meg in size...  you may also have this problem.

Scandisk usually removes crosslinked files and creates a file in the root directory
called:   File000X.chk

The only solution for a problem like this was to delete the 97mg CHK file and
reload Win95.   Since in this case it had not removed the registry files  or system
files...  the reload was rather simple.

This may not be your problem...  but, it was the bottom line in this situation.

Bob Wright  -   The NOSPIN GROUP
   [log in to unmask]   -   http://nospin.com
Listserv Owner   PCBUILD  -  PCSOFT
                          PC-PDA  -   I-GAMES