From:
Bob Wright <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 5 May 2000 14:54:19 -0600
At 08:53 AM 05/05/2000 , David A. Abbe wrote:
>Howdy Gang,
>
>System 1:  AMD450, 128MB RAM, tons of space.  Has been in this network for
>several months without a problem in the world.
>
>System 2:  Gateway 466Celeron system 64MB RAM, just purchased.
>
>===========================
>Before the Gateway, System 1 was networked with a Packard Bell using Linksys
>PCI 10/100 cards and a 4 port hub all purchased in a kit.  It worked
>perfectly.
>
>They purchased the gateway system, unhooked the PB, and want to use just
>these two systems, not the PB.
>
>gateway tech support told them to yank all Linksys products and go buy a
>different NIC and crossover cable.
>
>After fiddling with it they finally called me.
>
>I had troubles and the network is up, but flaky.  Not sure how.  Anyway:
>
>Using TCP/IP protocol, like it was before, and have things sort of up and
>running.
>
>BUT:  When Gateway accesses System 1's Primary partition, it's ok.  When it
>tries to access the 2nd partition, it just sits there with a blank stare for
>over 60 seconds, then either works or locks up.  I can not transfer any file
>from the 2nd partition to the gateway computer.
>
>Oh, another thing:  When I try to map a drive from the Gateway to System 1,
>the gateway locks up...period.. forcing a hard boot.
>
>I hope I wasn't too vague, if so, please let me know.

I do not see anything here that can be linked to a problem.   I also do
not understand why they want the Linksys hub and NIC pulled, since
I use a lot of Linksys cards and never experienced any problems.

You did not mention the brand of the new Network card?   You also
did not mention what protocol you are using for this network?

You should only need to have a Netbui drive installed for the two machines
to communicate, if they both have the same name for the workgroup.  The
TCP/IP driver is only needed for a machine connected to the Internet.  I would
worry about that protocol driver after you have the Netbui driver installed
for the Intranet.

If you have all your partitions shared, so that they can be accessed and you
have enabled file sharing on both machines...  then the only other issue that
might come into effect is the IRQ assigned to the Network card.  Many cards
will only function is they are assigned IRQ10 or 11.   You may need to look
into this issue..  it will make a network buggy if the Nic wants a specific IRQ
and Windows9x is assigning it a different one.

    I really wish I could be of more help.

      Bob Wright
The NOSPIN Group

                   messages? Visit our staff web site: