From:
"Tony M." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 15 Mar 2006 08:18:32 -0800
From the symptoms you describe, I am more
inclined to think that your motherboard (SATA) is
having a problem.  Could also be a problem with
the SATA disk drive.
Go to the web site for the manufacturer of the
motherboard and see if they have a list of bios
beep-codes - or try google for the information.

Tony Mayer

>I have recently built an email/internet home
>computer for a neighbor off of Newegg. They had
>a special running on MicroATX parts so I decided
>to assemble a system with this type form factor.
>It had worked for approximately 2-3 weeks before
>I started seeing the undesired behavior.
>
>The system powers off and will not power back
>on. If I unplug the AC power cord and plug it
>back in it will make a short beep and power the
>system fans on for a second then powers back
>off. I have to repeat this process in order for
>this to happen again. If I just hit the power
>switch without unplugging the AC power cord
>nothing will happen.
>
>I got an RMA through Newegg and had the power
>supply replaced thinking that the power supply
>was bad. To no avail, the new power supply does
>the same thing.
>
>I did find out by unhooking the power on the
>SATA150 (Seagate 80GB) hard disk that it will
>power on with no problems. I ordered this case
>and power supply as a combo, it is rated at 350W
>peak, 270W maximum output.
>
>To me this sounds like a “not enough” power
>problem but something that is really confusing
>me is that on higher rated power supplies this
>says the same thing. For example, on a 450W
>power supply it has a maximum output wattage of
>approximately 260 with a surge max output of
>478W.
>
>Is this a power problem? Or a problem with
>MicroATX form factor power supplies that they
>can’t drive the kind of power that SATA hard
>disks require?
>
>At this point I am open to suggestions or
>recommendations. Thanks in advance for any
>advice or help I receive, Stan Goodman.

                  Visit our website regularly for FAQs,
                          http://freepctech.com