From:
Anthony Garvey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 Apr 1999 10:05:40 -0400
Hello,

We purchased a SyQuest 1.2GB in summer 98 for local backup purposes.  I
decided against the Jaz Iomega at the time because of all the rave reviews
about SyQuest in the PC press.  The drive was trouble from the start.  The
special utilities disk was defective and the software was flakey.  It was
difficult to reach any real tech support at SyQuest.  Although we have used
the drive each week for a departmental backup, the drive is very particular
about recognizing cartridges.  It has become a frustrating experience each
week now for the person who must cajole it into operating as it should.
Just last week I informed this department that the purchase of this drive
was a mistake and we will put money for an Iomega drive in the new budget.
I think this is a good example of how the PC press sometimes gets it wrong.

HTH,
Anthony

>                 Has anyone heard anything about SyQuest cartridge
>drives, in particular the Syjet 1.2 Gig model and the EZFlyer 230 MB
>model. The specs section on these drives on SyQuests' website sound
>pretty impressive.

                         PCBUILD's List Owner's:
                      Bob Wright<[log in to unmask]>
                        Drew Dunn<[log in to unmask]>