From:
Bob Wright <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 13 Jul 2000 09:06:08 -0600
At 07:38 AM 07/13/2000 , Robert Turnbull wrote:
>I sent this some days ago and it didn't get through, so I am sending it again.
>
>I have 3 recreational computers (in the same room) that I would like to
>network.
>
>Comp 1, my main computer is a Pentium II 400 with a cable connection.
>Comp 2 is a Pentium 100 and I would like to use the hard drives in it for
>storage for Comp 1.
>Comp 3 is a 486 33 Mgz on which I would like to install a minimal Linux.
>
>Tentatively,
>Comp 3, the 486, would be the first one on the cable connection [serve as a
>firewall].
>Comp 2 would come next [storage only] and
>Comp 1 last.
>(Possibly at some later date I may want to be able to hook in my laptop to
>upload/download data to Comp 1)
>
>I understand that I will require 10/100 NICs (10 OK for data transfer, but
>100 preferred for the cable connection).
>
>I would be grateful for any thoughts on the following:
>
>1. Does this make sense and is this chain configuration the way to go?
>2. What hardware, cable etc. should I get - including product names and models?
>3. Would a ready-made kit fill the bill?

First, we have a whole section on the NOSPIN Group web site about
building small home networks, (listed in the Guides & FAQ sections):
    http://nospin.com/pc/network

Understand that 100Mb networks are not necessary to share a cable
modem, as cable only reaches 6Mb, (2 to3 is realistic), max vs. 10Mb
Nics.  (Okay...  no one beat me up on the Mb vs mb reference...).

For home networks, due to the limited use, nearly all products on
the market will work fine.  3Com is probably the best on the market
for quality, but D-Link or Linksys components work fine on low-load
home systems, (I currently use Linksys Network cards and 10/100
switches on my home LAN).

Personally, I have my client machine connected to the cable modem,
using two Network Cards, (NICs), with the second card connected
to the Switching Hub, (switch), that connects to two other switches
on our LAN...  switches can be purchased now for under $60, full
10/100 switching hubs.  So, no reason to go with plain hubs these
days...  the same for 10/100 NICs...  they are now under $20 all
over the place, (the dollar amounts are based on pricing seen here
in the US ).

Then, we use Wingate to connect the four other PCs on the LAN to
the Internet. The Wingate provides a complete firewall...
    Wingate article:  http://nospin.com/pc/pcs04-04.html

      Bob Wright
The NOSPIN Group

                    Digest mode - visit our web site: