From:
Bill Kapelas <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 7 Dec 2000 09:51:53 -0500
What exactly happens when you power up?
Is the drive recognized in POST. (before windows starts)

First the jumpers have to be set properly to master if you have 2 drives. You
need to know the proper jumper settings for a single drive. See the
manufacturers web site.

Then the drive/partition has to be set to active in FDISK.
This allows the operating system to start from that drive.

From here its a question of the operating system identifying your hardware.

If you need more detail let us know.

On Wed, 6 Dec 2000 22:25:13 -0600, Ryan E. Schutte wrote:

>Shouldn't it at least recognize that there is something on the drive?  This
>one acts as though it hasn't even been fdisked....  like it's brand new...
>but, if you put it on another computer, as a second drive, it shows that
>everything is still there.
>
>At 09:11 AM 12/6/00, you wrote:
>>Are you saying you are moving your operating system and boot drive to
>>another PC
>>to use as the boot drive? This won't work.
>>
>>You can't just start up the drive on a new computer because of different MB
>>and configurations. The only way to do it is to remove all devices from device
>>mgr, and reinstall them. I actually remove the cards from slots and put them
>>back in one at a time. This seems to minimize conflicts.
>>
>>Or a complete reinstall.
>>

>>On Sun, 3 Dec 2000 09:53:56 -0600, Ryan E. Schutte wrote:
>>
>> >I am switching a hard drive from one computer to another. The computer I'm
>> >putting it in is a brand new motherboard, etc. but it acts as though the
>> >hard drive hasn't been fdisked. I don't want to try fdisking it to see if
>> >this allows it to work because I don't want to lose all the information on
>> >the drive. I can hook it up to another computer as a secondary drive, and
>> >it shows everything on the drive. It was working in the original computer
>> >also, but it is now in a few pieces and I don't want to put it back
>> >together just to see if it still works in it.
>> >
>> >Any ideas why this would be? It's a 12GB hard drive with Win98.
>> >

>> >--
>> >Ryan E. Schutte
>> >Owner - KawreS
>> >http://www.KawreS.com
>> >
>> >KawreS - The SuperStore for all your needs and prices that you will love!
>> >

>>                   Visit our website regularly for FAQs,
>>                articles, how-to's, tech tips and much more
>>                   http://nospin.com - http://nospin.org
>
>--
>Ryan E. Schutte
>Owner - KawreS
>http://www.KawreS.com
>
>KawreS - The SuperStore for all your needs and prices that you will love!
>
>                  Visit our website regularly for FAQs,
>               articles, how-to's, tech tips and much more
>                  http://nospin.com - http://nospin.org

                     support at our newest website:
                          http://freepctech.com