From:
Bob Wright <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 13 Mar 1998 20:36:51 -0700
Dean,

SCSI cards come with several flavors.  The proprietory cards that
are sold with scanners only support, (as a rule), an external device
attaching to the card, such as a scanner.  I have been told that
you can add additional external devices in a chain with these
cards, although I have not tried it.

Adaptec cards are not nearly as expensive as you have stated,
at least not for the last year.   You can get a their 2940UW or
their best card for around $180 in an OEM package.   This card
supports standard SCSI, Ultra SCSI and Ultra-Wide SCSI...
and has an external port.   The price ranges down from there.

You really should have a need for a SCSI card to invest in one.
I have one in my server for my scanner and my CD writer.  But,
none of my other systems have one as we have no other SCSI
devices such as hard drives that require it.

SCSI cards are fairly much the same once you have them setup
properly, at least when it comes to speed.   They move data at
a given industry standard for speed.  My card happens to be
a Western Digital card, (although WD sold out their SCSI division
to Adaptec last year).  It was a lot tougher to configure than an
Adaptec, (that is a big issue with SCSI cards).  I have installed
a few Adaptec cards and they are extremely easy to install...
and configure...    that is the big issue.

    Bob