From:
David Gillett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 20 Oct 1998 11:20:01 -0800
On 19 Oct 98 at 17:16, Patrick Black wrote:

> I am asking this now before I boot my new computer up. Do I
> absolutely need thermal jelly between the processor and the heat
> sink and fan? Just bought a bare-bones system (included case, video
> card, sound card, motherboard and a Cyrix 6x86 MX2 233.

  No, but I recommend it.  It fills in the minute depressions in the
surfaces of the heatsink and the CPU's heat-spreader, improving the
efficiency of the transfer of heat from one to the other.
  Radio Shack sells a tiny tube of it (Silicone Heatsink Compound), a
lifetime supply for most people, for under $3.

  [Calling it "jelly" suggests that you may be expecting to use a lot
of it.  If you can't read the lettering on the CPU through it, you've
probably used too much.]

David G

                                  -----