From:
Nick Torraca <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 9 Jan 2002 20:30:08 -0500
Hello All,
I have two networked home computers running win98se. I use a dial-up to
connect to the internet. Both computers have modems and can connect to the
internet as needed. We have only one phone line. At times my wife camps out
on her machine working on the internet. I sometimes need to get online
briefly to check things. I set up ICS on the machines making hers the
connection to be shared. It works great, but I want to be able to switch
back and forth between my own modem or the shared connection. I figured I
could just check or uncheck the 'always dial my default connection' and
either dial in myself or share my wife's connection on the other computer.
The problem is that it always wants to share. I check the 'always dial my
default connection' box and dial in and it will work for a few minutes, but
then it can't find a page and it hangs up the connection and dials out on
the other machine. It still can't find the page and keeps bringing up my
dialer. If I check the 'never dial' box, then it will stop bringing up the
dialer and resume sharing and find the page via the shared modem. I found
that I can kill the sharing completely by re-running the internet connection
wizard, but that is more steps than I want to do just to be able to dial
out. If I run the connection wizard and leave the 'always dial my default'
box check, it dials out and works fine every time. As soon as I check the
'never dial' box and make use of the shared connection once, then I can't go
back to a successful dial-out even if I recheck the 'always dial' box. Is
there any easy way that I can toggle between my own modem and the shared
modem? Thank you for any help and thanks to everyone for all the things I've
learned while lurking around here. -Nick

                    Digest mode - visit our web site:
                   http://freepctech.com/pcbuild.shtml