From:
Joe Lore <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 8 Jul 2003 10:16:44 -0400
Hi,

I personally have gone the way of the laptop tops to replace desktops.
I have no regrets.
Portability when I might need it.  I now run a 2.4gig PIV with 512M and
a 40gig HDD and 15" screen.  I just bought a Maxtor 200gig HDD at
CompUSA this weekend for $129 after rebate ($120) and that is probably
going to go in an external box for additional storage of music files.

With Firewire and USB 2.0 there is really almost nothing that can't be
added to a laptop
that you can add to a desktop.  For storage of the files you mentioned,
an external
box with a large HDD, as I mentioned would take care of that situation.

I prefer Toshiba, Fujitsu, IBM notebooks, and some clones, like ASUS.  I
would not buy a Compaq or HP brand.  I see to many of those brands in
the refurbished market.

Thanks and have a Great Day!

Joe Lore
-------

Need some advice / suggestions as to the advantages / disadvantages of
replacing a 6 year old desktop with a top of the line laptop.
    Now have a 17 inch crt moniter, tower with floppy,  CDR , CD/ DVD
player, 2 harddrives, excellent sound system , a scanner & printer. Do
not play games, other than Solitary and Free Cell. Use scanner weekly,
printer many times a day.
    Save lots of pictures and music; 100 + or - emails a day, and surf
the web several times a day.
    What do you knowledgable people suggest, a laptop, or another
desktop, and advantages or disadvantages I should know about for my
mentioned use, please?

                         PCBUILD's List Owners:
                      Bob Wright<[log in to unmask]>
                       Drew Dunn<[log in to unmask]>