From:
"Joel M. Blackman" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 2 Jul 2001 19:22:25 -0700
So let me get this straight.  You get through the boot, the Win splash
screen, but it locks up on the desktop with a Kernel32 IVP?  Now that just
isn't right. Something got screwed up.  If it were me I'd fdisk and reformat
to reinstall windows.  No, actually if it were me I'd revert my hard drive
to the last time everything worked with Goback.  I've had it since 1999, and
it has been a lifesaver.  You don't need to be in Windows to use it.  It
comes on during the boot and you can use your mouse to run it.  I just
downloaded version 3, the latest.  I would feel lost without it.

I am replying two responses at once to save space.

To Joel, true, if I could have gotten that far. Computer froze at
startup, after boot, giving "Explorer caused an Invalid Page Fault in
Kernel32.dll @ 0167: bff7d39e" message. I had also had freezes at
"Verifying DMI Pool Data...", but was able to get around those stoppages.

> That's why I think your problem is a bigger one.  Windows should
> automatically install the standard VGA driver which would put the
> Display adapter line back in Device Manager.  At that point you
> could "update the driver".  If Windows is not installing the standard
> VGA something is wrong. Are you now getting to "safe mode", or
> does it freeze up before that? Please say where the boot freezes.
>
> Following MS troubleshooting procedure, deleted display drivers in
> Device Mgr, Win98. Computer freezes in Startup before it gets to
> installing new display driver. Cannot install driver in Safe Mode. How
> install driver?
>
> Demetri Kolokotronis

To Denis Baldwin, who asks

> What kind of video card? Have you downloaded the newest driver from the
> driver manufacturer's website?

Matrox G450 LX. Presumably have latest driver. Catch-Up. Cnet, says
driver needs updating, but they list update as G400 driver, which I
question as correct

                    Digest mode - visit our web site:
                   http://freepctech.com/pcbuild.shtml