From:
David Gillett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 Mar 1998 11:38:17 -0800
On 25 Mar 98 at 1:35, Mark and Judith Walter wrote:

>          All of the machines I have been building have been with
> new motherboards and cpus. Someone asked me to build them a cheap
> machine and I had a 486 board with an overdrive processor on it. When
> trying to install the board in the one of the cases that I have been
> using  for my socket 7 MoBo's I found that the power supplies power
> connectors would not fit the 486 board? I did not realize that they
> were different. Is there an adapter that can be used or do I need to
> find a new power supply with the correct connectors. Thanks for any
> info.

  I can think of two such scenarios:

1.  One is AT and one is ATX.  I think I've seen converters -- not
sure how well they work.

2.  One is standard, one is prorprietary.  I've disassembled systems
where the manufacturer invented their own connector, as part of
locking customers into their upgrade path (or lack of same...).
Options are to cut and solder if you can find connectors, or ditch
case or motherboard and replace.

David G