Date:
Wed, 23 May 2007 22:20:13 -0400
By the way you describe it, it sounds like a ferrite bead.  It's used for
RFI suppression. (radio noise suppression).  Computer signals with fast rise
and fall times create lots of harmonics of the fundamental frequency.  Thus
these signals can interfier with radio communications and TV receivers.

William