From:
Bob Wright <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 11 Sep 2000 18:46:47 -0600
At 03:19 PM 09/11/2000, Charles Alsop wrote:
>Members of Pcbuild:
>
>I have a cd rom 32X max as a secondary master and
>would like to make it a secondary slave, putting
>it on same ribbon as 20 gb hard drive.
>The pins are now like so from left to right faceing
>the rear of drive : : [:] "The jumper on 3rd set of pins"
>No pin numbers, but stamped above the pins, CSM above
>
>SLA
>Where do I place the jumper?
>
>An additional question would putting the rom drive
>and hard drive on same ribbon have any bearing
>on the speed of hard drive? Thanks.

The designations of CSM stand for this:

C = Cable select  (a rarely used format and should be ignored)
S = Slave
M = Master

Any Bios written since the first of 1998 can compensate on a UDMA33
controller for the difference in speed of ATA/IDE drives, so as long
as your Bios is newer, you should be fine.  There have been reports,
not that I can verify, that UDMA66 and 100 controllers can be slowed
by CD Rom drives.

    Bob Wright
The NOSPIN group

                     visit our download web page at: