From:
Herbert Graf <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 14 Dec 2001 16:39:50 -0500
No, flash memory is non voatile, it does not lose it's contents if not
powered. The battery is mainly there for two reasons:

1. to keep to contents of the CMOS OK, this is mostly a legacy thing, there
isn't really a good reason that this memory couldn't be made non volatile,
however...

2. to keep the clock running

Since the clock running requires a battery I guess manufacterers feel it's
not necessary to switch the CMOS to non volatile memory. TTYL