From:
Don Penlington <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 Feb 2009 09:00:22 +1000
E Clyde Melton wrote:
>When I click my username to open windows xp a virus seems to be telling it
>to reverse as if I am signing out.>>

Why do you suppose it is a virus? Are you getting any error messages--if
so, exactly what and where from?

If it's simply a system failure, you could try a repair install from the XP
disk.

Assuming you are correct:

Remove the hard drive from your computer and hook it up to another computer
with up-to-date antispyware---preferably SuperAntispyware and Malwarebytes
(both free) plus a good antivirus.

Run full malware/virus scans on your hard drive and remove any infections.
Or take the hard drive into any good computer shop and they'll do it for you.

Your only other real alternative is to reformat the C partition on your
hard drive and reinstall XP. Unless you can perform a backup via another
computer via the above method, you will lose all data on your C-drive.

Ideally, you should reformat all partitions, as it is possible that the
infection is residing on your data partition--if your hard drive is so
partitioned. You may or may not get away with just reformatting the C-Drive.

If you have an emergency CD such as BartPE or Ultimate Boot CD, you may be
able to save your data by booting from such an emergency disk. As you
didn't mention them, I assume you have no such disks available to you.

Don Penlington

                         PCBUILD's List Owners:
                      Bob Wright<[log in to unmask]>
                        Mark Rode<[log in to unmask]>