From:
4 computer9f <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 24 Apr 2011 16:53:42 -0400
WinXP SP2 (with a few carefully chosen hot fixes)
Onboard sound
Power Supply about 450w to 500w

I have had a Rosewill USB Speaker running for about 6 months.  It is a wonderful speaker, beautiful sound.  Or it was.

Now the speaker sound is distorted and garbled to the extent that you cannot make out anything from a .wmv file.  Same with the MagicJack.  Although - the headphones still work fine and the USB Speaker plays the Windows start-up music beautifully.  To swap between the USB Speaker and the traditional headphone jack, I have to choose either Realtek AC97 Audio (headphone) and ADD-ON USB Cinema System (actually the inexpensive Speader) under "Audio" playback from Sounds & Audio Devices Properties..

I installed a USB Magic Jack several weeks ago and it was fine, except the MagicJack damped the phone volume a little bit.  I don't remember whether the speaker worked then or not - I don't keep it plugged in all the time.

I installed a driver (setpoint) for a new Logitech cordless laser mouse and selected "custom" so I could see what it was doing, but it didn't want to install with "custom" selected.  I finally installed with standard "blind" installation.  I think I clicked the wrong .exe file to run it and ended up with the "blue screen of death" even when I rebooted.

I used Acronis True Image 9 to restore the system drive back to before I even bought the MagicJack and then repeated the items from my log since then (except for the mouse and MagicJack), and then made a new image.  Since restoring this image put my entire hard drive system partition back in exactly the state it was in a month ago, including drivers I thought, I expected everything to be fine.  Not so.  Speaker still garbled and staticy, no matter which USB port it is plugged into.

Could the speakers and headset behave as described if it was just the drivers?  If it is the onboard sound, buying a new sound card will not solve my problem.  I LOVE this USB Speaker and I want to use MagicJack (also USB), neither of which will work if I put in a soundcard separate from the onboard sound.  I have seen no soundcards with USB output.

Please help if you can - I am at my wit's end.

Thanks,
AnnaSummers