From:
Bob Wright <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 31 Oct 2005 11:04:21 -0700
At 09:54 AM 10/31/98 , Robert Prickett wrote:
>I 'inherited' an old office hard drive with NT on it, and assembled a
>machine from older parts, stuff that used to work--just old.  The
>machine will boot perfectly into NT with no problems, and the A floppy
>works in File Manager and the NT/DOS shell.  No problems at all.
>
>However, even with only essentials connected [floppy drive, video
>card, keyboard, RAM, it will not boot to ANY floppy disk [tried
>everything from bootable 6.0, 6.22, win95, etc--all of which work]
>
>The screen goes through settings, video numbers, RAM numbers,  then a
>hangup.  Nothing happens.  CMOS is set right, red traced wire on
>floppy drive is on #1 on both ends of the ribbon cable,, and the disks
>are good. [tested elsewhere]
>
>Changed floppy drives---no help.
>
>Kind of stuck here----[evental purpose is to kill NT and install
>win98, but I have to boot to A: to delete NT first]

You sound knowledgable enough to have checked this...  but as you have
not mentioned it, I believe it should be asked...??

Have you checked your CMOS settings?    Is the system set to BOOT from
the 'A:' drive??   You need to have the boot sequence set to:   A, C
and "Boot from a Floppy" enabled or the system will not look to a floppy
drive at bootup.

Bob Wright  -   The NOSPIN GROUP
   [log in to unmask]   -   http://nospin.com
Listserv Owner   PCBUILD  -  PCSOFT