From:
John O Wilson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 May 1999 16:19:02 -0400
Absolute best thing to do to address this issue is to boot into Safe
Mode, then Windows will allow you to delete just about anything in Device
Manager (since Windows is using no 32-bit drivers at all, only DOS-mode
drivers).  Delete devices/drivers for any devices (including system-level
motherboard resources, etc.) that won't be making the trip over to the
new system so that they can be detected by Windows upon boot-up in the
new motherboard.  After deleting everything, just shutdown the system and
make the hardware swap.

Other thing to watch out for is to make sure you have DOS-mode drivers
available for the CD-ROM drive, particularly if it's connected to an
interface on a sound card instead of an IDE channel on the
motherboard--it's a pain in the buns to be able to get the drivers from
the Win95 CD onto the hard drive if you can't get to the CD-ROM drive!
Probably the best thing to do here is to copy all the CAB files and any
other drivers you think you might need to temporary directories on the
hard-drive you plan to boot the new motherboard from.

-JOWj.

"The Pledge of Allegiance says, 'With liberty and justice for ALL.'  What
part of ALL do you not understand?" - Rep. Pat Schroder.

On Mon, 10 May 1999, Kurr, Martin wrote:

> Rick,
> I generally find it easiest to use a spare small-but-hardy hard drive,
> transfer all existing data/essentials to it, then reformat the drive/install
> new mobo&CPU.  The format takes a while, but it is a hands-off wait.  Seems
> there are fewer surprises this way.  Otherwise you can just install new
> stuff, install new drivers (et. al.), and then clean out the old mobo/CPU
> stuff.  Your method works well, but only if you know which devices/drivers
> you can/cannot safely remove without potential mid-session crash.
> Martin Kurr
> email [log in to unmask]
> > From:         Lindstrom, Rick[SMTP:[log in to unmask]]
> > I've built several computers from scratch, but I've never done a mobo/cpu
> > upgrade to a system that already had Win95 operational on it.
> > At a guess, I would say that it would go something like this:
> > Before changing out the hardware, go into Device Manager and remove just
> > about everything(?); turn off the machine and do the hardware swap;
> > restart
> > with only the video card, floppy, CDROM and HDD attached; pray a little;
> > hope Win95 can figure out what's going on and detect the new "devices" on
> > the mobo; reinstall and redetect sound cards, NICs, or whatever, one at a
> > time. Pray a little more. Maybe have an operational system without doing a
> > format and reinstall?
>
>             PCBUILD maintains many useful files for download
>               on our web site - visit our download page at:
>                      http://nospin.com/pc/files.html

                         PCBUILD's List Owner's:
                      Bob Wright<[log in to unmask]>
                        Drew Dunn<[log in to unmask]>