Date:
Sun, 2 Jun 2002 08:04:20 EDT
In a message dated 06/02/2002 12:53:51 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

> Hi,
>
> Do surge power strips "wear out"?.  When they've taken a few surge 'hits'
> to they lose their effectiveness for attenuating power spikes?
>
> Just one of those questions I've always wondered about and thought one of
> you electronics experts can answer.
>
> Thanks, Dan

Hi,
  The surge protection doesn't "wear out" as you put it, but they can be
rendered ineffective. The protection device will try to clamp any surge
voltage to a "safe" level, right up to the point it self destructs (from
overheating). The amount of energy it can absorb before this happens is
called a joule rating. Better protectors have a higher joule rating (the
protection devices are physically larger inside the unit), so they can
withstand a bigger "hit", before overheating to the point of
self-destruction.
  There is no simple way of testing them, to see if they are still
functioning properly, so if you have any doubts, you should just replace them
(and maybe move the questionable ones to less valuable equipment, or stuff
that is not likely to be hurt by surges...incandescent lights, or things with
just a motor, like fans for example, are not too susceptible to surges).

HTH,
Peter Hogan