From:
Frank Suszka <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 28 Jun 2005 12:49:21 -0700
Ira Wallin wrote;
>Does anyone have any recommendations on a 19" flat panel monitor?   It
>will be used extensively for text, graphics and playing some movies.

The choice or preference of which monitor to purchase is up to the
individual user and is usually based upon price and expectations. One could
purchase an LCD with all the bells and whistles and when it comes down to
crunch time it may fail to deliver what the person expected. You noted that
you looked at the Dell 1905fp and you saw a "number of comments about bad
ghosting when playing movies or games." I don't think there is one LCD
manufacturer that won't fall short of some expectations. The Dell 1905FP
uses the same Samsung LTM190E4 PVA technology panel as the Samsung model
193P monitor. Maybe that might explain the ghosting problems.  An LCD
compared to a CRT as far as image quality goes, shows the CRT as being
better. Again, the technology in LCD monitors has increased in quality in
recent years.

I prefer to choose between BenQ and Viewsonic. I have had good experiences
and bad experiences with any given monitor manufacturer however, I have
narrowed the general choice to these two manufacturers based on what a
client can afford.

As for graphics or movies, I guess I would say that a LCD does hold it's own
in some respects. Most studios and those involved in special effects use
both. In the end, it is user preference that will determine which LCD is
purchased based upon quality of the image and price.

AnandTech has a slightly dated article on LCD monitors. There is a wealth of
information in the article that may be of interest to you and help with you
decision. http://www.anandtech.com/displays/showdoc.aspx?i=2289

Monitors with built in speakers are not a choice I would make. I don't think
the sound quality is that good and if the speakers go out, the rest is
history.

Sincerely,

Frank Suszka
netTek Computers

Does anyone have any recommendations on a 19" flat panel  monitor?   It will
be used extensively for text, graphics and playing  some movies.
I was about to get the DELL 1905fp, but I see a number of comments about
bad
ghosting when playing movies or games.

Thanks,
Ira Wallin

                         PCBUILD's List Owners:
                      Bob Wright<[log in to unmask]>
                       Drew Dunn<[log in to unmask]>

  _____

Virus Database (VPS): 0526-1, 06/28/2005
Tested on: 6/28/2005 12:32:31 PM

                         PCBUILD's List Owners:
                      Bob Wright<[log in to unmask]>
                       Drew Dunn<[log in to unmask]>