From:
Colin Newman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 30 Apr 1999 00:29:12 -0700
There are only 2 sources of the noise in your PC:
drives [the motors inside them] and the fans. So there
are few steps you should do if you want to keep
your PC quiet:

Buy a quiet power source [more expensive, of course]
or replace your existing power source fan;
replace your CPU fan - there are many quiet models;
if you have a noisy front fan, consider replacing it
too.

The drives can't be silenced much, but some CDROMs
produce quite loud noise when spinning.

If you don't want to replace/buy anything, consider
stuffing your computer into some *ventilated* closet,
or under the table if it's on the table; if you're
serious about noise, you could even consider placing
the system in another room, running cabling via hole
in the wall and
place monitor/kb/mouse inside - get rid of noise, but
this would be very unwieldy.