From:
joseph marty <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 27 Sep 2002 17:29:29 -0400
A BIOS update for an Asus board is free.  Just go to their web  site and hunt down your board in BIOS updates.  Go to the web site of the manufacturer of your video card to find the latest driver for it.  If you can't find the latest driver there, if the video card runs on nVidia chipset, go to the nVidia web site and find the universal driver for the TNT2 cards.  Most manfacturers recommend that you only use their drivers, but I have used nVidia drivers without any problem on both Gateway/nvidia nd Dell/nVidia cards.  After you update your BIOS, boot into safe mode, go to device manager and remove/delete your video card.  Have the latest driver ready to go when you restart.  A new install with the latest driver and a BIOS update ought to fix everything.

>Hello:
>
>I hope someone can shed light on this problem.  I have an older computer
>bought in 1998.....ASUS P5A-b motherboard, never updated the BIOS, and I am
>still using the vendor-installed video card (SIS6326 AGB 8MB).  This has
>worked well.....I recently upgraded my display to a 19" monitor and wanted
>to utilize the higher refresh rates.  So I bought a new video
>card.......NVIDIA TNT2 M64 32mb..........installed it and now I am getting a
>lot of computer hangs.  Sometimes it doesn't even boot to the desktop before
>it crashes.  Uninstalled the new card, put in my old one and was once again
>working with no problems.
>
>I have scoured the net for answers and it seems that my M/B has some issues
>with the TNT2 AGP boards.  I have read that I should change the bios for the
>board and that would iron things out.  I also have seen that upgrading the
>video drivers and agp drivers will help.
>
>Has anyone solved this same problem with the same M/B?
>Where do I get an update for the BIOS without shelling out $70?
>
>any help would be greatly appreciated,

                     support at our newest website:
                          http://freepctech.com