Date:
Mon, 26 Sep 2005 06:15:22 -0500

-------Original Message-------

From: sue

Date: 09/25/05 23:28:39

To: [log in to unmask]

Subject: [PCBUILD] Drive D data not accessible

Hi Sue,  Doesn't the Norton Sytem Works Pro 2003 have a firewall?  If so,
there could be a conflict with Zone Alarm Pro.  I had same problem and when
I uninstalled Norton, D drive was accesible again.  I no longer use Norton
for computer protection.  I do not work on computers for a living.  This was
just an experience i went through for some time before I was given  info to
correct problem.  Hopefully you will receive more posts on this subject that
have more technical information.

stephen r stanfield

Specs:

Dell 8300

WinXP  SP2--all updates installed

512 Ram

DVD Drive

DVD-RW Drive

Floppy Drive

Drive C:   Maxtor  120

Drive D:   Maxtor  120

Maxtor External Drive 300--not connected at the time of occurrence

CounterSpy - Up to Date  and Scanned

Norton Anti-Virus (Norton System Works Pro 2003) - Virus section Up

to Date and Scanned

Zone Alarm Pro 6.0.667 (now includes anti-spyware) all updated

C: drive is OS and Programs

D: drive is used for Ghost images, backups of certain files and file

copy via Karen's Replicator

Yesterday, I accessed Drive D for backups with no problem.

Today, I was running e-mail program and surfing.    Received the blue

screen with a STOP message.    System was stopped.   Rebooted and

thought everything was fine.

Now, through My Computer, I tried to access D: drive and was told the

disk was not formatted.   Did I want to format the disk?     The disk

shows up under Device Manager with message that the drive is working

properly.   When I check the disk under Norton Utilities, the message

indicates the drive is not accessible.

I have not tried to format the D: drive yet.     Most of the info on

the D: drive has already been copied to the Maxtor External Drive, so

the data is not lost and can be recreated.

Questions:

1. Is it possible that the Blue Screen with the STOP message caused

me to lose Drive D: or could it just be coincidence?

2. Is there anything I can try or do before attempting to format the drive?

3. Any idea what could have caused the loss of D: drive?

Thanks,

Sue Na

                         PCBUILD's List Owners:
                      Bob Wright<[log in to unmask]>