From:
Doug Simmons <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 Dec 2003 14:21:21 -0500
Since you are on a Domain at work (no workgroup is specified with Domains)
and Workgroup at home (no Domains), it gets to be difficult as I have found
out.

I use NetSwitcher (an inexpensive shareware US$15) to do exactly what you
are doing.  I did have to make sure that the laptop Local User had
permissions to "Add workstations to Domain" before it would
work.  NetSwitcher will check for you and make sure you can do this when it
first starts up.  Since I had Administrator rights for my laptop, I just
changed this setting ( Under Administrative Tools - Local Policies - User
Rights Assignment - "Add workstations to domain").

Of course you will have to Share folders, etc. as you normally would under
XP to access files and printers on your home network.  A lot of other
settings are nice too, such as changing your default printer when at home.

Take a look at:

http://www.netswitcher.com/

Doug

At 11/28/2003 10:00 PM, Michael A. Wosnick wrote:

>Is there some easy way to share files over an Ethernet hub if the two
>connected computers are not part of the same workgroup or domain?
>
>I often bring my laptop home from work and want to do some file transfers,
>but my home PC and my work laptop are configured such that my home PC is
>part of a home network and has a workgroup name that does not match my
>laptop (which is part of a domain at work).
>
>It is too much effort to go through changing domains or workgroup names etc
>each time I want to do a file transfer.
>
>Can I do it some other way? I have an Ethernet hub and two separate IP
>addresses from my ISP. Both the laptop and my PC are running XP pro.

                         PCBUILD's List Owners:
                      Bob Wright<[log in to unmask]>
                       Drew Dunn<[log in to unmask]>