From:
Herbert Graf <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 1 Apr 1999 13:23:30 -0800
>>I have a very annoying problem. To start, I run win95 with IE5.0. Was
>>browsing along and I suffered a crash while defraging, so after giving
>>it a few minutes in case it would be OK, I pressed CTRL-ALT-DEL twice
>>and it soft rebooted. Everything seemed fine until I tried to
>>reconnect, the net wouldn't respond, so I checked another connection
>>and it was also non responsive, at this point I suspected a problem on
>>my end. So I opened a dos window and tried to ping myself, got
>>"Transmit error; error number 10043". I have a small network also and
>>it can't ping local machines either. The funny thing is if another
>>computer pings this one it works, I just can't send any packet. I
>>tried reinstalling DUN multiple times, never worked, same problem. I
>>went on the net and found two help files on the Microsoft site, one
>>says error 10043 is caused by certain files not being able to load, it
>>suggested a fix, didn't work. I then found a page that describes how
>>to completely uninstall TCP/IP and DUN, did the whole thing and I
>>still have the problem. The thing is everything else works perfectly
>>fine. I have a feeling that one single file is corrupted because of
>>the crash, but I replaced every file microsoft lists for DUN and it
>>still didn't work. Any ideas? I don't want to reinstall the whole
>>thing because of this problem, I don't have backups so that is not an
>>option. Any ideas? What files should I replace in case they are
>>corrupted? Thanks for any help, writing from my linux system (thank
>>God it works!). TTYL
>
>After redoing Dial-up networking, I generally have to re-install
>the protocols.  (tcp/ip) _AND_ put DSN settings back.

     I agree and so does Microsoft it would seem. My first try involved just deinstalling and installing DUN, then I removed everything network related I could think of from the system, including all protocals and drivers and then reinstalled, still the problem. I then got a Microsoft document which detailed how to remove all remnants of DUN and networking and reinstalling, did that and still the same problem. I have installed from different versions so unless the CD-ROM, floppy and internet copy I use are all corrupt, that isn't it either. It is very puzzling to me, it's like the protocals are all working, I just can't send a packet, I can relay one (Pinging from another machine) though. Thanks for the help. TTYL

-----== Sent via Deja News, The Discussion Network ==-----
http://www.dejanews.com/  Easy access to 50,000+ discussion forums