From:
Herbert Graf <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 12 Feb 1999 21:54:12 -0500
> My sister has a 486 DX2 50 MHz and I put an AOpen 56k ISA modem in it with
> no problems. She regularly gets connections in the high 40's to low 50's
> kbps. A 486 is still a PC...I don't know why they would tell you that you
> need a 486 compatible modem...I've never heard of that. You should be able
> to configure it whether you have a 486, Pentium, AMD, or whatever.

     Unfortunately this is no longer true on the low end of modems. Many
cheap modems out there are winmodems or derivatives, and many of them soak
up enough resources to become unreliabled on 486 systems. I recommend no
person should get one of these modems, to many problems to deal with, and
you don't save much money. The second area are PCI internal modems. They
often require PCI 2.1, and even if they don't, barely any 486's out there
have PCI, although I have seen a few. The store is misleading the person,
56K has nothing to do with it. To solve all these concerns, get an external
serial modem, no problems there (unless you don't have a 16550 or better
UART, but that is another story). TTYL

             to be posted to: [log in to unmask]