From:
Jim Meagher <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 9 Mar 1998 01:13:54 -0500
A Cassel wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I just finished installing a new HD on my Compaq CDS 982, and other than
> a few little problems (resolved by our wonderful moderators), it went
> smoothly.  I did a clean install of Win95A (since updated w/ service
> pack1, and font smoother), but my CD doesn't show in DOS.  When trying
> to access it in DOS I get;
>
> C:\>L:\
> Invalid drive specification
> C:\>
>
> L is my CD drive and the old Config.sys still accessible in the now D:
> drive contains the statement;
> DEVICEHIGH. /L:2,14832 =C:\CPQDOS\CPQIDECD.SYS / D:IDECDOO1
>
> My new config.sys from the clean install makes no statement concerning
> the CD.

That is part of why DOS can not see the CD.  You need to add that
statement back in to your new config.sys  -AND-  you need to add
the MSCDEX statement from your old AUTOEXEC.BAT to the new one.

It takes both pieces for DOS to "see" a CD drive.

Where to put the driver file?  It doesn't matter as long as the
statement in your config.sys points to it.  So why not just put
it back where it was... C:\CPQDOS\CPQIDECD.SYS
--
Jim Meagher
=====