From:
Kevin Weaver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 12 May 2004 04:41:11 -0700
I have a D-Link wireless router. Connected to that are: cable modem, two wired desktops and three
wireless connections. Everything has worked perfectly for the last six months or so. Recently
however, the two wired computers have shown a slow down in their internet connection. The wireless
connections are still working perfectly.

At first I thought virus or adware, but all scans have been clean. One computer, an older Dell,
began intermittently reporting a "network cable disconnected" error. I eventually replaced the
network card, and that seems to have solved the problem with that computer, so far.

The other wired desktop has two onboard network adapters. The 3com adapter is currently in use.
The internet connection is extremely slow. I did a ping test and it failed. I don't know enough to
understand why I still have an internet connection when it failed the test. I tried switching to
the nvidia adapter. It passed the ping test, but I could not connect to the internet.

So, after all that, my questions are: What would be causing the adapter to fail the ping test?
What, if anything, can I do to fix it? and What could have caused the network adapters on both
computers to fail at the same time?

Thanks for your help,

Kevin