From:
Wayne Copeland <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 30 Apr 2003 09:24:26 -0500
If the firewall/router can be configured to hand out IP addresses in
the same range as the Windows 2000/DHCP server nothing would need to
change on the clients for the clients to get IP addresses.  You
would set up the Windows 2000 server with a static IP address - I'm
assuming that the clients and Windows 2000 server are already using
"private" IP addresses (i.e. 192.168.x.y).  If the IP address of the
server does not need to change the clients should have no problem
getting to the server.  If you need to change the IP address of the
server you will need to reconfigure the clients to talk to the
server at it's new address.

The clients don't care where they get their IP address from as long
as they get one.  Don't be afraid to ask questions - that is how we
learn.

- Wayne Copeland

Hello!

Some questions to a reply:

"Your hardware firewall would get it's IP address from the ISP and
most
firewall's will provide DHCP services (you may need to configure
it).
If you use the same IP (private address) range in the firewall you
simply stop the DHCP services on your Windows 2000 server and you
won't
need to touch your other computers.  I've done this a few times and
this
is what I have set up at home.  You would want to configure a
static IP
address for your server."

Would the router DHCP assign different addresses to the client
computers? Would the client computers work the same considering
that the
DHCP server has "moved"? In the situation mentioned above: how
would the
client computers access the server after you give the server a
static IP
address?

I realize that these questions reflect a lack of understanding of
the
basics of DHCP and addressing. I've read a fair amount about such
but it
doesn't seem to sink in...

Thanks to all for the thought and effort you put into your
answers!

Best, Will Stephenson
mailto:[log in to unmask]

                     support at our newest website: