From:
Jerry Foreman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 9 Oct 1998 23:43:31 -0700
I have a Pentium 75 Mhz computer, with 24 meg ram, running Win95 (OSR2).
I recently added a Maxtor 2.1Gig HD. Did not partition it and used
FAT32. It previously had a Western Digital 850 meg HD. I selected the
2.1gig as C: and the Western Digital drive as D: I installed Win95 on
drive C: (did not format or change drive D:). Windows runs fines. I
installed programs and games and they all worked great. But Windows does
not recognize Com2 where I have an external 14400 US Robotics Sportster
modem. I can tell Windows the com port is there and it installs it fine
with no conflicts. The Modems feature under Control Panel cannot find
the modem. I can tell Windows (Add Hardware under Control Panel) that
the modem exists, and it too is installed without any hardware conflicts
and is reportedly working fine (says System under Control Panel). When I
try to use the modem (Phone Dialer or my dial-up internet connection) it
says that the modem is in use by another application. I reinstalled
Windows and tried all of this, getting the same results. I reformatted
(still one partition and FAT32) and this time did not install anything
except Windows. Same problem exists with Com2 and modem. I looked at the
modem cable, all appears to be fine. Where it plugs into the computer,
all pins are present and looks good. Inside the case, the ribbon is in
good condition and indeed plugged into Com2 on the motherboard. I
switched the modem over to Com1 on the motherboard and booted without
the mouse. Windows recognized the modem and installed the correct one
and used Com1 as the port. The modem worked perfect on Com1, but Windows
still cannot find Com2. I tried to install Com2 and tried to install the
mouse on Com2 from DOS, but nothing worked. Is this a problem with
software, hardware both???

Any suggestions? Need anymore information?

Jerry Foreman

                                  -----