From:
John Chin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 7 Jan 1999 00:41:27 -0500
At 11:44 AM 1/6/1999 Elizabeth Boston wrote:
>        The original video card is a PCI Diamond
>Stealth64, 2001 series with a date of 1995 on it.
>        I don't know about adding video ram, probably not
>something I would try on someone else's computer
>for the first time.
>        No video on the motherboard.
>        In the CMOS, the only things I could find are as
>follows...  Video Mode = EGA/VGA . . .

Elizabeth:

I assume you checked the Win95 video drivers and/or tried
Safe Mode. And deleted/disabled any proprietary video
software.

You might have a upper memory conflict.  Check CMOS again
to see if any devices are cached or shadowed in any memory
ranges normally used by video (the first 128K of upper
memory).  In fact, turn off ALL caching and shadowing to
see if the problem goes away.

Also, see if there are any SCSI, NIC or other BIOS/drivers
being loaded high. Also check for a memory manager, like
QEMM, being active.

In fact, you might try removing all other adapter cards,
except the video, disabling all shadowing and caching, REMing
out all lines in CONFIG.SYS and AUTOEXEC.BAT, and booting a
simple Win95 configuration to see if that works. Then add
things back one at a time to find the conflict.

If none of this works, one would assume the motherboard
BUS, BIOS, chipset, and RAM combination (and the relationship
with Win95) is the problem. Sell him a motherboard upgrade
with more RAM.  <grin>

Good luck.

John Chin

P.S. Adding Video RAM to a PCI card should be as simple
as snapping in SOJ chips. But that Stealth card must have
had 1 MB of RAM on it, plenty for 256 colors at normal
resolution, right?